Wednesday, 2024-04-24, 10:36 PM
Welcome Guest RSS
Spartan Gaming
MainFruits of Boredom - ForumRegistrationLogin
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Spartan Games » Game Ideas » Fruits of Boredom (Gojen's Games)
Fruits of Boredom
ShinkuGuntouDate: Friday, 2011-08-05, 12:49 PM | Message # 1
Paganus
Group: Users
Basically, I've got two games in mind at the moment.

:Ideas:
My latest idea is a fantasy game with a mythos (world, mythology, races, etc.) that I make up with my brother. It will be a strategy/turn-based game sort of like a mix between Ogre Battle's combat system and chess. Obviously this style detracts from PvP and there are a lot of other logistics that I have to work out.

Slightly further ahead in the developmental process is a RPG based on the Fallout series. It's combat will be semi-turn-based but more in the style of Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age: Origins, or the KotOR series. There would be a simple pause between each shot depending on weapon (which is why I call it "semi-turn-based"). What I want to be unique about this game is that I'm going to completely do away with the stat_panel. Instead I want all information (health, inventory, party, quests) to be called up by clicking on one of three buttons at the bottom (I want the outline of the screen to be a pip-boy and these buttons would just be the ones from the game).

Additionally, there would only be two other windows aside from the actual game window. One would be like the speak channel, only it would be different in that there would be no such thing as OOC, instead the only conversations that could happen would be with those on your screen and those that you chat with through your pip-boy. The other window would be something new. It would be similar to the chat, only it would be for emotes. Only these emotes wouldn't be dependent on the players putting them in. Because you can't trust every player to type in ' emote "pulls gun out of holster" '. Instead, I want this window to receive all the little bits that you would see if you were really there (or the game was in 3D).

For instance, if you target someone (which will be the right-click button [no drop-down menus!]) then the game may say something like "[src] fixes \his attention on [usr]." I think it's src is the source and usr is the target, but regardless, you get the idea.

Ideally this game would be a moderately strong role-play game, which I know Artemis isn't a fan of, but still. I've also got plenty of other ideas for this, but I'll post them as I get to coding them.

Oh, and feel free to tell me what you think about the idea. You can say anything so long as it's unconditionally positive, and won't ruin my pipe dream!

Oh, and also, on thing that is holding me up is that I'm a terrible iconner. Terrible. And I need several turfs (like the tin buildings that are really popular on Fallout) to get along with my map. So if you want to help (with anything), or know someone who may want to, let me know.

Your buddy, Funk.

The Dread Pirate Roberts, I presume?

ArtemisDate: Saturday, 2011-08-06, 10:31 PM | Message # 2
True Spartan
Group: Administrators
I think it would be a bit beyond your abilities if you're just now returning to code. I'm not saying don't go for it, I'm saying try something simpler first to get back into the groove.

A hero is not one who never falls, but one who gets up, again and again, NEVER losing sight of one's dream!

ShinkuGuntouDate: Sunday, 2011-08-07, 10:06 AM | Message # 3
Paganus
I thought that the best way to do Byond coding was to overexert yourself so that you get bored really quickly and stop playing Byond for a couple months... That's the way I've been doing it, at least. biggrin

ArtemisDate: Sunday, 2011-08-07, 8:13 PM | Message # 4
True Spartan
Well stop it! PS - do you wanna help on SMO?

A hero is not one who never falls, but one who gets up, again and again, NEVER losing sight of one's dream!

ShinkuGuntouDate: Sunday, 2011-08-07, 10:40 PM | Message # 5
Paganus
I'd be up for that, PS! You didn't read my rule. I said you could say anything as long as it was unconditionally positive and didn't ruin my pipe-dream!

ArtemisDate: Sunday, 2011-08-07, 10:49 PM | Message # 6
True Spartan
Consider it a way to make your pipe-dream come true! Start with something small, then fulfill your pipe-dream.

SliceDate: Monday, 2011-08-08, 0:41 AM | Message # 7
Paganus
Goodluck with it Gojen :P What is SMO?

ArtemisDate: Monday, 2011-08-08, 8:16 AM | Message # 8
True Spartan
Seeeecret stuff that I can share only with fellow Americans. PS - Slice think you could make a skin for meh? D:

SliceDate: Monday, 2011-08-08, 8:48 PM | Message # 9
Paganus
ahh xD

and Sure.

ArtemisDate: Monday, 2011-08-08, 9:52 PM | Message # 10
True Spartan
I've made you a Dev. Look in Sea Battles por favor.

ShinkuGuntouDate: Wednesday, 2011-08-10, 7:44 PM | Message # 11
Paganus
After a lot of hand-holding from a kindly man in the Byond Forum, I've actually fixed my Login/character creation mess so it no longer uses those handy alert() things and other prebuilt things that would make it a whole lot easier to code. Oh well, it's like they say, why code in two lines what you could in three paragraphs, AMIRITE?

Anyhow.

:Factions:

In this game there are gonna be several warring factions. The question, I suppose, that I've been wrestling with is how to add faction-based combat while not making it essential. I've got several ideas:

Numbah 1: There will be probably 5 factions. I chose 5 for several reasons, one being that I like odd-numbers. I didn't want to go with 2 factions, because it seems too predictable. I didn't do 3 because it would probably turn into 1984, where it would just rotate between 2 allies fighting 1 enemy...

Numbah 2: There will be oodles of areas on the map where that particular building can be used by a faction (or a company [more on that later]). These places can be used to make several types of buildings; like outposts for military defense, factories to make ammunition (which would allow the faction to supply itself its own bullets, instead of buying them), supply routes/posts, and maybe some more, but I haven't thought of them yet. Anyhow, these areas would be would be able to have different upgrades (which I learned how to do through SS13) available, and also you could higher defenders (or buy them as in robots). But to operate the robots you would need a mainframe and someone with a high enough science skill.

Numbah 3: I'm sure there's a number three but I can't think of it... Ah yes. Putting people into groups increases accountability. I want the players to feel compelled to keep playing.

But, I want to make an alternative to factions, which would be companies. If you've played the Fallout series these would be like the Crimson Caravan or the Talon Company Mercs. They wouldn't be the size of the factions, but the size of squads. Squads would be like "guilds" inside the faction, like Lyon's Pride. So say, me, Slice, and Arte were all in the Brotherhood of Steel, and Slice and I formed a squad called "Team Awesome" we could capture points for "Team Awesome" so some of the benefits would go just to our squad. The companies could do the same thing, only they could keep all the money.

Next I'll post info about my ideas for quests, because I don't want faction combat to be the main focus.

ArtemisDate: Wednesday, 2011-08-10, 9:01 PM | Message # 12
True Spartan
I am recently learning how to use skins myself! I've made popups!

ShinkuGuntouDate: Thursday, 2012-06-21, 1:45 AM | Message # 13
Paganus
Oy, popups, I'm just being lazy with pop-ups. I'm just using src << browse(text,"window=whatever"), but I will need some skinning help, I want my skin to look like a Pip-Boy 3000

Added (2012-02-03, 7:14 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Eh. Found the code. I SHALL FINISH IT! At this rate, I'll just go on adding to it then losing it until it's finally done.

UPDATE: I have discovered how to do my inventory system, which means that all I need to add is combat to have a fully functional chassis to build my game on top of! I shall find a way to host the introduction missions and starting areas once they are done to dazzle your minds and renew your faith in me, or my name isn't Gojen...

...of the funk. Ubch ubch ubch, Gojen of the funk!

Added (2012-06-21, 1:45 AM)
In the immortal words of John Lennon, "You may think I'm a dreamer... but I'm not."

I have been looking for summer employment, but I have no job experience with which to get a job for which I need the experience I would get from said job.

So in exchange, I've been playing SW:TOR, Skyrim, forming a band, watching unhealthy amounts of TV shows on Netflix, and I need something to do to keep my creative side from curling up into a ball and reading MacBeth aloud in my bedroom... so I might return to this idea, although Fallout is a fan-based game, and Bethesda has a Fallout MMO in production, so I'm not sure how I feel about that.

In other news, I've considered making a Fantasy-style game (Elves, Dwarves, and the like) only set ahead a few centuries to the golden age of Piracy (which I just wrote a research paper on for my Junior-level History class)... I thought that might be a cool idea, but since I have a terrible track record, I was considering opening up to be a collective project, for anyone interested... I may even provide the basis for it as the Fallout code that I did earlier in the year.

Also, you guys are awesome for still checking this forum after ~2 years of the NBotLS server being down. biggrin

ArtemisDate: Saturday, 2012-06-23, 2:31 AM | Message # 14
True Spartan
YES! SERENA MAKES A DEBUT THERE! YUSH!

PS - Nice Princess Bride quote.

ShinkuGuntouDate: Monday, 2012-07-16, 9:26 PM | Message # 15
Paganus
Indeed, Black Dragons pirates?

I might get around to posting a video or a music clip of me band if we ever get around to having something with decent audio quality. Also, this week I'll finish the core mechanics of my game, and see if I can post a link to it on here, I've still not sorted out Port-Forwarding my new router.

Added (2012-07-16, 9:26 PM)
I have reached, perhaps the most annoying obstacle in coding thus far... developing a hit/miss calculation that will determine whether attacks hit. I really have no idea how to approach it... any ideas?

Forum » Spartan Games » Game Ideas » Fruits of Boredom (Gojen's Games)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Website builderuCoz